Monday, 5th June 2017
While conflict happens all over the world on a daily basis, brutal acts of terror seem to be getting closer and closer together. From the Manchester Arena bombing, to the attack in Manilla, to the London attack over the weekend, it’s beginning to feel like no one is safe.
Because of the ‘critical’ terror threat England has currently imposed following the Manchester Arena bombing, the response to the London attack was shift, with the attack ending in just over eight minutes.
But what would happen if an attack happened in South Australia?
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said on Sunrise this morning that Australia should be on high alert, saying that an attack like the one in London can happen here – any place, any time.
“This was part of the ISIS narrative, the Islamic State terrorist organisation was urging its demented followers to pick up a rock or a knife or use a vehicle,” she said.
As the terror threat remains probable for Australia, people are no longer feeling safe in their own cities and are beginning to feel vulnerable and nervous in large crowds or big events.
While most people might think that a terror attack is more likely to happen in Sydney or Melbourne, there is just as much chance that it could happen in Adelaide.
Just last month, a woman was arrested in Adelaide’s Western suburbs with alleged links to the Islamic State. There is no threat in relation to the arrest.
This week on Wavelength, Matt spoke to Ian Horne from the Australian Hotels Association to discuss how the state’s tourism has changed. Lisa Bishop from Music SA also spoke about what is being done in the live music scene. Public safety is also being increased, with the Lord Mayor of Adelaide, Martin Haese, also sharing what the Adelaide City Council is doing in case of a threat.
With the World Cup Qualifier happening at Adelaide Oval this Thursday, South Australian Police are currently reviewing what measures will be put in place to ensure the safety of everyone attending the event. Large crowds are expected for the match against Socceroos and Saudi Arabia.
Screening procedures were tightened following the Manchester Arena attack. However, Deputy Police Commissioner Linda Williams believes international events such as this draw a significant threat.
Premier Jay Weatherill said the threat of ‘probable’ is unlikely to change for some time.